DCIG 2019-20 Enterprise Deduplication Backup Target Appliance Buyer’s Guide Now Available
DCIG is pleased to announce the availability of its 2019-20 Enterprise Deduplication Backup Target Appliance Buyer’s Guide which helps enterprises assess the enterprise deduplication backup target appliance marketplace and identify which appliance may be the best fit for their environment. This Buyer’s Guide includes data sheets for 19 enterprise deduplication backup target appliances that achieved rankings of Recommended and Excellent. These products are available from five vendors including Cohesity, Dell EMC, ExaGrid, HPE, and NEC.
Enterprises rarely want to talk about the make-up of the infrastructure of their data centers anymore. They prefer to talk about artificial intelligence, cloud adoption, data analytics, machine learning, software-defined data centers, and uninterrupted business operations. As part of those discussions, they want to leverage current technologies to drive new insights into their business and, ultimately, create new opportunities for business growth or cost savings because their underlying data center technologies work as expected.
The operative phrase here becomes “works as expected”, especially as it relates to Enterprise Deduplication Backup Target Appliances. Expectations as to the exact features that an enterprise deduplication backup target appliance should deliver can vary widely.
If an enterprise only wants an enterprise deduplication backup target appliance that meets traditional data center requirements, every appliance covered in this Buyer’s Guide satisfies those needs. Each one can:
- Serve as a target for backup software.
- Analyze and break apart data in backup streams to optimize deduplication ratios.
- Replicate backup data to other sites
- Replicate data to the cloud for archive, disaster recovery, and long-term data retention.
While the appliances from each provider uses different techniques to accomplish these objectives and some perform these tasks better than others depending on the use case, each one does deliver on these objectives.
But for enterprises looking for a solution that enables them to meet their broader, more strategic objectives, only a couple of providers covered in this Buyer’s Guide, appear to be taking the appropriate steps to position enterprises for the software-defined hybrid data center of the future. Appliances from these providers better position enterprises to perform next generation data lifecycle management tasks while still providing enterprises with the necessary features to accomplish traditional backup and recovery tasks.
It is in this context that DCIG presents its DCIG 2019-20 Enterprise Deduplication Backup Target Appliance Buyer’s Guide. As in the development of all prior DCIG Buyer’s Guides, DCIG has already done the heavy lifting for enterprise technology buyers by:
- Identifying a common technology need with competing solutions
- Scanning the environment to identify available products in the marketplace
- Gathering normalized data about the features each product supports
- Providing an objective, third-party evaluation of those features from an end-user perspective
- Describing key product considerations and important changes in the marketplace
- Presenting DCIG’s opinions and product feature data in a way that facilitates the rapid comparisons of various products and product features
The products that DCIG ranks as Recommended in this Guide are as follows (in alphabetical order):
Access to this Buyer’s Guide edition is available immediately by following this link to any of the following DCIG partner sites: