The DCIG 2017-18 Cloud Data Protection Appliance Buyer’s Guide weights, scores and ranks more than 100 features of twenty-two (22) products from six (6) vendors. Using ranking categories of Recommended and Excellent, this Buyer’s Guide offers much of the information an organization should need to make a highly-informed decision as to which cloud data protection appliance will suit their needs.
Each appliance included in the DCIG 2017-18 Cloud Data Protection Appliance Buyer’s Guide had to meet the following criteria:
- Appliance includes backup and recovery software
- Product is available as a physical appliance
- Software connects to at least one public or private cloud storage provider
- Software compresses and deduplicates data
- Software provider offers and supports the appliance
- Stores backup data on the appliance
- There must be sufficient information available to DCIG to make meaningful decisions. DCIG makes a good faith effort to reach out and obtain information from as many storage providers as possible. However, products may be excluded because of a lack of sufficient reliable data
- Must be formally announced and/or generally available for purchase as of August 1, 2017
DCIG’s succinct analysis provides insight into the state of the cloud data protection appliance marketplace. The Buyer’s Guide identifies the specific benefits organizations can expect to achieve using a cloud data protection appliance and key features organizations should be aware of as they evaluate products. It also provides brief observations about the distinctive features of each product. Ranking tables enable organizations to get an “at-a-glance” overview of the products; while DCIG’s standardized one-page data sheets facilitate side-by-side comparisons assisting organizations to quickly create a short list of products that may meet their requirements.